Inside Molly’s Head, August to November 2016
So most of these are a little old, but now that I’m done with the PE exam I can do things for fun again!
- See, men’s fashion does change! just not as fast as women’s. Or does it, it’s honestly hard to tell.
- I’m sure you’ve heard about the New York Times profile of the McCall’s Pattern Company by now. The term Do-It-Yourself really gets on my nerves though, it implies that normally we aren’t capable of making things or, in my mind, that the thing you’re making is shoddy quality. I don’t DIY my clothing, I construct it myself, for myself.
- The real Bob Ross
- The Hugo Awards short story winner this year is about an AI who loves cat pictures. Really, what more could you ask for from a self-aware computer system?
- Yet another discriminating thing to watch out for – math can be biased against women and minorities. Really, it’s the algorithms, which are written by people with biases (everyone has biases), but still don’t ever take “big data” as complete truth because it’s probably missing something important.
- Embroidery is apparently very trendy right now, even better when done yourself in my opinion.
- I wasn’t really paying attention to the Olympics when Flo-Jo was racing (having just been born around that time), but she looks so cool in her hooded bodysuits.
- How gymnastics leotards are made
- Tim Gunn and Christian Siriano on NPR
- This is the best Banned Book Week idea ever, wish it wasn’t just in DC!
- The age old question: are quilts art? Mary Fons (the author of the article linked to) also keeps an interesting blog, mostly about her life, that is a nice departure from the typical craft blog because she almost never blogs about her sewing but she’s such a good writer.
- Back to the topic of all things Olympics from this summer, here is a little history of the American uniforms and branding.
- How Obama’s female staffers made their voices heard
- The presidential campaign may be over technically, but I doubt anyone is going to stop being upset. At least some people are pretty decent.
- Some behind the scenes on making star wars action figures for the most recent movies.