The Case of the Squiggle Print Fabric
Long time, no see! I’ve been slowly working on this project for about a month now, and taking it slow really payed off I think.
This style is a bit of an experiment for me. But I love the fabric, and I even have a ton more to make something else with.
Pattern: BurdaStyle Peplum Top 08/2012 #113
Fabric: Mystery, it’s really awesome fabric but I got it from my Mom (who might have also gotten it from my Grandma) so I don’t know what it really is, probably a blend. It’s got a decent weight but is very drapey, with a kindof twill weave I think. And great color and print of course, I probably have 3-4 yards of this still (Grandma seemed to have a habit of buying in bulk when she liked something but didn’t have a plan) so you might see this again some day.
Design Likes/Dislikes: Like I said above, the peplum is an experiment. I’ve made a peplum top before, but this peplum is an attention hog. It’s almost tunic length and so far I think it only looks good paired with my straight, black skirt. But I like the way it looks, it probably just won’t be in high rotation (no rotation right now because it’s so damn cold outside).
Sizing and Fit: I made a size 36 and I think the fit is pretty amazing, like the front is spot on with no adjustments. The back is a little big, but if it wasn’t I don’t think it would be comfortable. I tried to be careful but the back pieces may have stretched out some because the whole back looks longer than the technical drawing (I guess it looks like the model photo though). This is most noticeable at the back waist seam because it doesn’t match up.
OH and do you see my zipper? No? That’s ’cause it’s INVISIBLE. Seriously, this is my first invisible zipper EVER. Bia gave me an invisible zipper foot for my Bernina for christmas and I just followed this tutorial on the Coletterie. Perfection. So much so that when I pulled it up closed for the first time and saw how far off the waist seam was, I decided not to redo it. You can’t really see the misalignment anyways because of the print. I can only attribute it too fabric creep anyways, this stuff is wiggly.
The sleeves are not great, they fit perfectly when my arms are down, but pull up strangely with movement. It’s not too much of a problem because the fabric lets them get back in place just fine.
Changes: Only the order of construction. I left the side seams last for fit checking and to make inserting the sleeves easier. Sooo much easier this way. I also bound most of the seams, or pinked them, because the fabric frays like there’s no tomorrow.
For Next Time: Long sleeves, and maybe a longer skirt to make it a dress (basically just #115 from the same issue). It’s been crazy cold up here in the “north country” for more than a month so anything long sleeved is on my mind.