I wanted to try making loose, swingy tank top similar to Grainline’s Tiny Pocket Tank by modifying a pattern I already had. B4518, from 2005, is long out of print but it’s my go to woven tank top pattern because it’s super simple and comfortable. The fit is not currently trendy though, it’s boxy and on the short side, so I thought I’d try to update it by adding some length and swinging the sides out. This probably would have worked fine except for my fabric choice: a musty old polyester dress from who knows when (the style reminds me of the 50s or 60s, hard to tell because it was homemade in the Midwest of America – the land of slow style changes).
The dress was from an elderly, Latvian neighbor who was moving out of her house and had to get rid of all the stuff that collects over time, pretty sure this was her daughter’s at some point. I could have sworn I took a picture of it, but I can’t find it now. The skirt of the dress was pretty large and bias cut (or maybe a half circle), but it was tiny. I tried to try it on but my boobs are way too big (and I’m not a large girl). Pink isn’t a color I’m drawn to normally either, but I am drawn to free fabric, so there you go. Anyways, long story short: bias cut fabric doesn’t work with this pattern and because it’s slippery, the cutting wasn’t very accurate, resulting in a too big top. The neckline turned out gianormas and way too low.
This will now be the cutest sleeping top I have ever owned, but I think it will be good for that with the bias cut (more movement or whatever). To slap-dash fix the giant neck, I just make a pleat in the center front… we’ll call it an unintended design detail… it’s still too low for a day-wearing top (hence it is now a pajama top).
I could try my alterations again using a straight grain, but I’m lazy and don’t really feel like sewing another failure or pajama top, so I’ll be investing in the Tiny Pocket Tank. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it anyways.